Thursday

French Toast with a Twist

You might have guessed by this point that one of the things that my family absolutely DELIGHT in is lovely, tasty, preservative free food.
Do not get me wrong, we still occasionally eat ramen noodles, mac n cheese with hot dogs, order out very occasionally .. far from Nigella or Martha!

What I want more than anything is to inspire you all about eating on a modest budget.
Once you get a few of these recipes in your daily or weekly repertoire, you will feel more confident and even more creative with what you see when you open your pantry or fridge. And that will free you up in so many ways. Both with your budget and your desire to have a nice family/friends meal.


While I was visiting my cousin Julie and her family over the holidays, she had purchased some gorgeous bread in northern california. It had cinnamon swirled into it -walnuts and a light sugar glaze on the top. Really good on its own, but one of the girls said we should make it into french toast.
TADA! Well done Carlee!
This is how I learn ALL my recipes! Through someone's excitement in a cookbook or shared cooking with friends and family...I then end up tweeking it a little and make it my own!




 Serves 6




Ingredients

2 Large loaves of breakfast style bread or brioche loaf
7 large eggs whisked
2 1/2 cups of whole milk or heavy cream if your daring
1 Tbs vanilla extract
Non salted butter
Maple syrup
Confectioners/Powdered sugar
Bacon for 6 people



Prepare


** Using bread that is a day old is a tip I learned for french toast, so slice it the night before in 1 1/2 inch slices


* Prepare your bacon
* Whisk your eggs, cream/milk and vanilla in a large shallow baking dish
* Place bread in mixture and let it sit for 2 minutes on each side, not to long though with this bread because you don't want it to eggy
* On medium high heat put a dab of butter in a large pan and cook bread for 3 to 4 minutes or until brown on each side
* Serve hot with a dab of butter and sprinkle of powdered sugar or Maple syrup, and of course bacon!



** Try all kinds of breakfast breads!!!

****I know tweeking means something very different in England!! Enjoy the laugh all of you! : )

No comments:

Serving sizes and this sight.....

As many of you have come to realize, I am usually making huge amounts of food and alot of times for more than just my family. However, I would be horrified to think that someone who was living alone, or with only a couple people in their home would feel discouraged about this..
Simply use division for most of these recipes if they are too big. With the exception of baking, which requires a fair amount of science, these recipes can be adjusted and modified with ease! And if you feel stuck, either leave me a comment or email me and I will try to respond to you as soon as I can.
Thanks fellow foodies, hope you eat something yummy today and enjoy the fact that you didn't spend lots of money at a high end restaurant!

Enjoy! I love to hear from you all!

Rebecca Turrigiano

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails