Saturday

Red Curry

I don't know about many of my fellow foodies, but growing up in the southwest of the U.S, I never ate Indian food. It just wasn't around.  Asian food as a whole was limited to Chinese until the last 15 years. Then we moved to England where Indian food is a hugely popular. After kind and patient friends walked us through a meal, showing us the yummy dishes offered, we were sold! Now I find I can't go very long without making this next dish, and  my kids LOVE these flavors, which are so light and flavorful.
I just know you will make it a staple in your home once you have tried it too!





Serves 6


Ingredients

 2 tsp of sesame oil
2 green onion, sliced thin ( not the hard green part though)
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed
1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cup of Mango peeled and  cubed (I tend to buy it frozen and already prepared)
4 cups of diced chicken or small Shrimp (or half and half)
5 teaspoons of Red Curry paste
1 Can of coconut milk
Juice of 2 limes
3 teaspoons of fish sauce
4 Cups of chicken stock made from concentrate
Handful of fresh cilantro/coriander
3 Cups of Jasmine rice


Prepare

*Put your rice on to cook, turn off and leave covered when done
*Prepare your vegetables
* In a wok on medium high heat add your sesame oil and green onion
* Add your red curry and heat it up for a second
* Add your coconut milk, fish sauce and chicken stock whisking together and bringing to a boil
* Gently add your sweet potato and butternut squash to the mixture , turn heat down to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes covered until the veg is soft
* Add your shrimp/chicken and cook again for another 10 minutes for shrimp but at least 20 for chicken (If adding both I tend to pre cook the chicken to avoid over cooking the shrimp)
* Add your fresh lime and mango and leave for another 5 minutes
* Serve either in a bowl with your rice on the side, or together the mixture on top of rice with a bit of fresh cilantro/coriander

*Try adding cubed tofu to this to make it vegetarian

No comments:

Serving sizes and this sight.....

As many of you have come to realize, I am usually making huge amounts of food and alot of times for more than just my family. However, I would be horrified to think that someone who was living alone, or with only a couple people in their home would feel discouraged about this..
Simply use division for most of these recipes if they are too big. With the exception of baking, which requires a fair amount of science, these recipes can be adjusted and modified with ease! And if you feel stuck, either leave me a comment or email me and I will try to respond to you as soon as I can.
Thanks fellow foodies, hope you eat something yummy today and enjoy the fact that you didn't spend lots of money at a high end restaurant!

Enjoy! I love to hear from you all!

Rebecca Turrigiano

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails