I would often have to cook, not really knowing what I was doing.. but obviously in Italy one has a plethora of things to choose from when cooking. I came home one night with heavy cream, fresh ravioli, and "Invented" my own version of a cream sauce...I fed it to a few friends who assured me any Italian Momma would be proud!
This dish has Shrimp, Peas and Ham or Bacon and is my son Noah's absolute favorite. You can also substitute chicken if you don't like shrimp...
|I used fettuccine and ham for this dish|
2 pounds of fresh or dried pasta ... any kind you could even use tortellini or Ravioli!!!!!
1 pound of shrimp
2 cups frozen or fresh peas
2 pints of heavy cream
12 pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled or ham diced into small cubes
1 or 2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 stick of butter
2 Tbs olive oil
1 cup fresh grated Parmesan
* Boil your water for the pasta, cook pasta until al dente or still firm
* In a VERY large sauce pan, cook your bacon
* In the same pan with a little of the bacon fat, and on medium high heat, saute your garlic and add 1/2 stick of butter and about 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
* If adding ham and not bacon add a splash of olive oil to your pan and than saute your garlic and add your Italian seasoning and 1/2 stick of butter
* Add your shrimp and peas and stir for about 2 minutes
* Slowly add your cream and 1/2 cup of cheese to the pan, turn your temperature to low and allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
* Add about 1 tsp of white pepper
* Turn mixture off and cover while your pasta is cooking
* Drain your pasta and add it to your pan, if your pan isn't big enough to allow you to mix it up , add your sauce to your pasta in your pot that you boiled the pasta in
* Stir all together and add the rest of your cheese, giving it one final stir
* Serve with some garlic bread and a very simple arugula salad