Saturday

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

The very first cake I learned to make as a girl was a Pineapple Upsidedown Cake.
I loved the caramelized sugar topping and the tartness of the Pineapple...
I came across a Cranberry Upsidedown Cake recipe but for some reason it didn't come out very  well, so I went back to my good old recipe for the Pineapple version modified it a tiny bit, and it came out perfectly!!
I figured it would be a lovely holiday recipe to have during the season of lots of friends and family coming around. I love to hear your stories so please send them to me!



Ingredients

1/4 cup unsalted butter and 1/3 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
12 oz package of fresh cranberries ( substitute 1 can of drained pineapple slices for pineapple  version)
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large or 2 medium eggs



Prepare

*Heat oven to 350 degrees
* In a cast iron skillet put 1/4 cup butter to melt on medium heat
* Add the brown sugar to the butter and let it melt, be careful not to burn it!
* In a bowl add the flour, salt and baking powder
* In a mixer add the butter, sugar and egg and whisk until creamy
* Slowly add the flour mixture
* At the end add the milk and with a spoon finish mixing together
* Add the mixture to the cast iron pan and bake in the oven for 45 minutes
* Get your cake plate and when the cake is done cooking place the cake plate over the cast iron pan and flip it over
* I like to serve this with fresh whipped cream and while it is still warm..

Wine Suggestion- Sparkling Rose

 AND FROM MY FRIEND HEIDI ..A GLUTEN FREE VERSION:



Heidi Kalous wrote
at 3:51pm on December 28th, 2009
OK, here is the gluten free version...I used the same recipe but instead of regular flour I used a gluten free flour made for baking. (Gultenfreecreations.com has a good one) When I added the gluten free flour I also added the milk and then used my mixer to beat until smooth. Gluten free flour is really fine and it did not mix well without adding the milk at the same time. Everything else is the same as the original recipe.
It turned out awesome!

No comments:

Serving sizes and this sight.....

As many of you have come to realize, I am usually making huge amounts of food and alot of times for more than just my family. However, I would be horrified to think that someone who was living alone, or with only a couple people in their home would feel discouraged about this..
Simply use division for most of these recipes if they are too big. With the exception of baking, which requires a fair amount of science, these recipes can be adjusted and modified with ease! And if you feel stuck, either leave me a comment or email me and I will try to respond to you as soon as I can.
Thanks fellow foodies, hope you eat something yummy today and enjoy the fact that you didn't spend lots of money at a high end restaurant!

Enjoy! I love to hear from you all!

Rebecca Turrigiano

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails