One of the things that I am forever trying to do is to make things more guest friendly.
I am talking those times when you are asked to bring along a desert or side dish, or when you are having a party yourself and the thought of having to hold a fork and plate and chat is just not appealing.I for one am always spilling and dropping stuff!
So..I found this recipe for mini or bite sized cheese cakes and I was a happy girl! I have made them for my son's birthday and for holiday parties. They are so easy that you will wonder why you never made them before and everyone thinks they are just scrummy!! To be able to bring along a dessert that you would pay a fortune for and know that you paid nothing is SO satisfying! All you need are a few hours to let things set and firm up, but the whole process of the mixing it all up is nothing at all, maybe 30 minutes!
10 Oz of either Graham Crackers, Short Bread Cookies or Digestive Biscuits (Like plain Hob Nobs) Graham Crackers are in the photo
1/2 cup of butter
8 ounces of firm cream cheese cubed
2 TBS of granulated sugar
1 Large Egg whisked
3 TBS of sour cream or creme fresh
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp of fresh lemon juice
2 12 cup mini muffin tins
* In a food processor blitz your cookies till they are fine( can be done in a plastic baggy with a rolling pin if you don't have a food processor)
* Melt your butter in a glass measuring cup in the microwave
* Add butter to mixture blitzing until it is looking a bit like sand!
* Put about 1 generous tsp into each cup making sure you press firmly and up the sides of the cup
* Chill in the fridge for about an hour or until chilled and hard
* Heat oven to 375 degrees
* Into the food processor again, blitz the cream cheese until smooth
* Add the sugar and blitz until smooth
* Add the egg and vanilla and sour cream/creme fresh and blitz until smooth
* In your glass measuring cup pour the mixture and then carefully add to each cup going all the way to the top* Cook for about 10 minutes until firm
* Cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes until room temp
* Refrigerate for at least 3 hours making sure you cover them with plastic wrap
* Remove by gently going around cakes with a butter knife until they come loose
To dress them up a bit try adding a bit of melted jam and/or a sprinkle of confectioners sugar! Use a tea strainer to make a really lovely effect with the sugar...
Wine Suggestion- Port